Spring Training w/ my bff (we just ran a half marathon....very tired)

Spring Training w/ my bff (we just ran a half marathon....very tired)
Lakeland, FL

Saturday, January 1, 2011

*tap tap tap...is this mic on??*

There are a zillion (yes, its a real measurable amount; just ask Bill Gates) reasons why I love Detroit. Its not just because I'm from the area or that I'm blessed with a zillion (again) amazing, friends and family here. Its because for me, personally, Detroit is a really magical place. When I was growing up, we went into the city for Tigers and Red Wings games. When I got old enough to ride my bike and/or navigate the bus system, my friends and I would go downtown, and I was literally amazed. All this incredible architecture! So much history! So much to love!! But like a lot of Michigan kids, I went to school out of state and thanks to the economy at the time, ended up living in Washington, DC. WDC is a nice enough place, I mean, its great to run in, not so great to live in. Anyhoo, once I started going back to Detroit a few times each year I'd treat myself to immersion city tours to really get to know the place. Well, in September 2010 I finally bit the bullet and moved back. Since that day, I have not regretted the decision for one minute.

I spend a LOT of time running around the streets and meeting the neighbors and neighborhoods that make up the city. There are a heck of a lot of cool people with amazing stories to share and the interesting thing is, everyone has something to say. I hope to use this blog to keep everyone up to date on what is going on here in Detroit and to share positive stories since the media finds that aspect of our city boring.

For those of you in the area, while most museums are closed today, if you are looking for something fun and interesting to do, the Detroit Historical Museum is open and free tomorrow:
http://www.detroithistorical.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment